torquill: Art-deco cougar face (Default)
[personal profile] torquill
11:30I got woken up at 10:20 by a massive charlie horse. I do not recommend the experience.

I spent ten minutes nursing it, and once I could actually stand, I took three caps of cal-mag in the hope of preventing a recurrence. After that, I got up, because I was thoroughly awake. I got dressed and came downstairs, and spent a little time crunching data from yesterday.

My energy is surprisingly good today -- I'm not up for vigorous activity, but I'm not having trouble getting around the house, and my mind is clear. My right knee is a little swollen but otherwise behaving. My left hip aches slightly still. My lower back is tender to the touch, but I didn't have any trouble putting my socks on this morning, so it seems to flex all right.

My overall pain level is kind of high, though. I don't notice much except that I'm not at all interested in food, and I should be hungry after going short yesterday. I also find that I'm disinclined to get up and do things, even though my energy is good; since standing or walking tends to increase my pain level, it acts as a subconscious deterrent. I suspect I'll be very tired later if I can't get the pain to recede.

Psychologically I'm doing well -- we performed well at the game event yesterday, and I got to see some friends. I'm feeling settled enough to do things like finances and other dull but necessary tasks today.

So I did finally get around to making myself some breakfast, but even so, I found my energy flagging around 13:30. I spent most of the time on the computer, trying to decipher javascript; at least my brain is working pretty well, though my eyes don't stay clear and I have to blink and squint at the screen sometimes.

Around 14:30 I decided to do financial stuff, and spent two hours entering receipts. It's tedious but doesn't take a lot of brainpower, and I'm glad to have gotten it done. Now I'm going to go out and treat myself to a little Ingress before meeting up with an old friend of mine for her birthday.

I walked three circuits of Todos Santos plaza, which took 45 minutes or so at a slow pace. It seems that my joints are rather better today; my knee is swollen but otherwise not causing trouble, and the pain in my hip is just about gone. I was able to walk normally, without a cane, and felt only a bit of pain in the metatarsals of my left foot -- my nice boots don't have aggressive arch supports, and while I think it's doing good things for my feet to flex more in the arches, the posterior side of the ball seems to get a little bruised sometimes.

I was feeling reasonably good when I finished up, and drove to the restaurant a few minutes away. I sat and talked for an hour, and the only negative aspect I had was that despite the food being quite good (and there was stuff there I could have ordered), I had no interest at all in it. I should have, given how little I'd eaten in the last 36 hours. I was able to converse pretty well, though, and I drove back home to dinner easily enough.

I had dinner and TV, and now I'm thinking about going back out. The party is still going on.

I got to the restaurant and sat on a backless barstool for two and a half hours. My lower back started to feel strained near the end, and when I stood up my legs and feet were stiff, and I was tired. I could suddenly feel the amount of pain I was in, too, like I had put on a loaded backpack.

I wasn't really fatigued yet, though, so I decided to do another couple of circuits of Todos Santos to limber up my joints. That particular aspect of the game (farming up more items) is something I find very calming, at least when I have the concentration needed to do it, so I thought it might be a good way to wind down. Someone once told me that it's a kind of meditation for them, and I can see how it would be.

It started raining before I finished one round, and after another round (I had my trenchcoat on, so at least I was warm and dry) I called it quits. My legs and feet were working well, and I felt pleasantly exercised and calm enough for bed. I still need to do a little tidying up of inventory, then I can go up.

Yesterday was not one of the good days -- my right knee and left hip were both playing up, I was barely able to walk even with a cane, I was in enough pain that I had to go home for painkillers in the middle of the action, and while I did force myself to take breaks to eat and drink I still felt the strain of driving and walking for seven hours. I was exhausted and blurry when I finally managed to wind down at 1am, and I expected to be low-energy and sore today, but this was a pleasant surprise. It's all too often the other way around, so I'll take it.
Identity URL: 
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


If you are unable to use this captcha for any reason, please contact us by email at

Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of people who comment anonymously.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.


torquill: Art-deco cougar face (Default)

September 2017

345678 9

Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags